I liked this reading (http://einsights.ogpr.educ.ubc.ca/v14n01/articles/sarte/index.html) because it is highly relevant to me right now. I was in my first ever classroom observation session yesterday and students in Science 10 were learning about gene alleles and traits. Briefly, this has to do with how certain alleles are dominant over other alleles: if B=brown fur, b=black fur, then BB= brown animal, Bb= brown animal, bb= black animal. When I asked one of the students if she understood this concept she said "Yes, when the letters are both uppercase it's homozygous and when they aren't it's heterozygous." I took a step back and asked the student "Yeah, but do you understand where in the body these 'uppercase' and 'lowercase' letters come into play? Like how are these pairs of letters even relevant to our bodies?" She had no answer for me. Now this is just one student, but I feel like she represents more students in the lack of conceptual...
Comments
Post a Comment